Establishment of an Advisory Council For Each Residential School for the Deaf and Blind
|Policy Title||Establishment of an Advisory Council For Each Residential School for the Deaf and Blind|
|Policy Category||Advisory Committees (ADVS)|
|Previous Policy Dates||09/05/2013, 03/06/2015|
- There is established an Advisory Council for each of the three Residential Schools as follows.
- Functions of each Advisory Council shall be to:
- Meet regularly to advise the State Board of Education regarding all aspects of residential school operations, including timelines, standards, and criteria, and other matters as designated by the State Board of Education.
- Review and make recommendations to the State Board of Education regarding development policies, personnel matters, student life and conduct, curriculum, finances, and other matters as designated by the State Board of Education.
- Advisory Council Membership
- All members shall be appointed by the State Board of Education and shall be residents of North Carolina with a demonstrated commitment to public education.
- Each Advisory Council shall consist of at least 5 members as follows:
(1) one individual from the deaf or blind community;
(2) one individual from the county in which the school is located;
(3) one individual from special education;
(4) one member at large; and
(5) one member representing the local school district.
3. Staff from the Department of Public Instruction shall attend Advisory Council meetings
D. Terms of Office
- Members on each Advisory Council shall serve staggered, four-year terms. Each Advisory Council will designate which members have 2, 3, and 4-year terms at the outset.
- Terms shall expire on June 30th of the applicable year.
- Each Advisory Council shall annually elect a Chair and Vice Chair from one of the members appointed in subsection (1)(b).
- The Advisory Council shall meet at least once a quarter during the school year and as often as necessary to conduct its business; the State Board of Education shall meet at least once a month during the school year.
- By July 1 of each year, the Advisory Council shall submit an annual report of activities and recommendations to the State Board of Education. This report must be made available to the public.
- Official minutes must be kept on all meetings and must be made available to the public on request.
- All Advisory Council meetings and agenda items must be announced in advance in order to allow interested parties a reasonable opportunity to attend. Meetings shall be open to the public.
- Interpreters and other necessary services must be provided for Advisory Council meetings for panel members or participants.
- Each member shall serve without compensation by the State; however, the State may reimburse the members for reasonable and necessary expenses for attending meetings and performing duties.
- The Department of Public Instruction or the Residential Schools shall provide the necessary secretarial and clerical staff and supplies to accomplish the objectives of the Advisory Council.