State Board of Education Policy Establishing an Advisory Council for the North Carolina Virtual Public School (NCVPS)
|Policy Title||State Board of Education Policy Establishing an Advisory Council for the North Carolina Virtual Public School (NCVPS)|
|Policy Category||Advisory Committees (ADVS)|
- Establish an Advisory Council for the North Carolina Virtual Public School (NCVPS) as follows.
- Purposes of Advisory Council
- To work collaboratively with NCVPS staff in implementing the strategic goals and objectives of the State Board of Education and NCVPS;
- To recommend to the SBE the adoption of policies and procedures that relate to the operation of the school; and
- Provide strategic leadership in conjunction with the political, education, and business community to ensure the success of the school.
- Advisory Council Membership
Members shall be approved by the State Board of Education. The Advisory Council shall consist of no fewer than fifteen members and a maximum of twenty members. The membership may exceed the maximum of twenty members during the first year of existence under this policy. The members should represent the business and education community. The members of the Advisory Council shall represent the following stakeholders and geographical areas:
- At least eight individuals from Public Schools to represent the eight Education Regions. These members may be superintendents, central office administrators, principals, counselors, teachers, and students;
- At least one charter school representative.
- At least two individuals representing the business community;
- At least one individual from community colleges and one individual from institutions of higher education;
- The two NCVPS online teachers of the year; and
- Two members at large.
D. Terms of Office
- Members on the Advisory Council shall serve staggered, four-year terms. The SBE will designate which members have 2, 3, and 4-year terms at the outset. Members may serve successive terms.
- Terms shall expire on December 30th of the applicable year.
- The Advisory Council shall elect a Chair and Vice Chair from the members.
- The Chair of the Advisory Council shall serve for a two-year term.
1. The Advisory Council shall meet at least once a quarter during the fiscal year and as often as necessary to conduct its business;
2. The Advisory Council is subject to the Open Meetings Law;
3. Official minutes must be kept on all meetings and must be made available to the public on request. Any changes to the agenda that are necessitated at the meeting will be in accordance with the Advisory Council’s by-laws or Roberts Rules of Order, whichever is applicable;
4. All Advisory Council meetings and agenda items must be announced in advance in order to allow interested parties a reasonable opportunity to attend. Meetings shall be open to the public;
5. Each member shall serve without compensation by the State; however, the State may reimburse the members for reasonable and necessary expenses for attending meetings and performing duties.