Charter Amendments for Existing Public Charter Schools
|Policy Title||Charter Amendments for Existing Public Charter Schools|
|Policy Category||Public School Employee Charter Schools Administration (CHTR)|
A material revision of the provisions of a charter application shall be made only upon the approval of the State Board of Education.
- The following are amendments that must receive Board approval prior to implementation
- Enrollment growth beyond 20% or grade expansion not in the approved charter;
- Transferring the charter to another non-profit entity;
- Altering the mission or targeted student population;
- Employing or terminating a management company;
- Change to the application with respect to the National School Lunch Program; and
- Change to the application with respect to student transportation.
- The following proposed amendments to a charter may be approved by Department of Public Instruction staff without the necessity of Board action; moreover, the charter school must seek approval prior to implementation of the change. Further, the Board must be notified by the Department of any approved amendments in the following areas:
- The name of the charter school;
- The Articles of Incorporation;
- Class sizes as stated in the application;
- Length of school day and/or academic year; and
- Curriculum Changes
- Any proposed amendments not contained in Section 2 above must be reviewed and approved by the State Board of Education. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Department may carry any proposed amendment to the Board for its review.