Use of School Interpreters with Other Agencies
|Policy Title||Use of School Interpreters with Other Agencies|
|Policy Category||Education Services for the Deaf and Blind (ESDB)|
|Statutory Reference||G.S. 115C-47(18)|
To avoid the appearance of conflict of interest and bias and to protect both students and staff, the following guidelines govern the use of interpreters employed and contracted by the Education Services for the Deaf and Blind (EDSB):
School interpreters may:
- Interpret for the student to inform him or her of the events that are taking place.
- Interpret when an agency is gathering information that could lead to the receipt of financial or other benefit by the student.
- The agency conducting the investigation shall be responsible for ensuring that the student(s) involved has appropriate access to the proceedings.
School interpreters may not:
- Be used as interpreters in situations that could potentially lead to action against the school or any school staff.
- Participate in the collection of information that will be used by the agency conducting the investigation, i.e., Department of Social Services, law enforcement agencies, etc.
- Interpret for the student in such situations when action by school staff are being investigated.