Activity bus drivers
|Policy Title||Activity bus drivers|
|Policy Category||Transportation (TRAN)|
|Previous Policy Dates||04/01/2010|
- CDL means a Commercial Drivers License, which is a license issued by the state that authorizes an individual to drive a commercial motor vehicle (G.S. 20-4.01).
- “CDL Activity Bus” means a school activity bus (G.S. 20-4.01) built to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver. A CDL is required to drive a “CDL Activity Bus” (G.S. 20-4.01).
- “School bus driver’s certificate” means a certificate issued by a duly designated representative of the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles and the Director of Transportation, or a designee of the Director in charge of school buses in the county which shows that he or she has been examined and has been certified fit and competent to drive a school bus over the highways and public vehicular areas of the State. (G.S. 20-218)
- LEAs shall require individuals who transport students to or from a school-related activity in a CDL Activity Bus to hold a valid Commercial Drivers License with a Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsement (CDL-P/S) as required by the Division of Motor Vehicles.
- Beginning July 1, 2010, LEAs shall require individuals being initially licensed with a CDL-P/S, who transport students to or from a school-related activity in a CDL Activity Bus, also to hold a school bus driver’s certificate.
- Beginning July 1, 2015, LEAs shall not permit any individual to transport students in a CDL Activity Bus unless he or she holds both a CDL-P/S license and valid school bus driver’s certificate.
History Note: Authority G.S.115C-240;
Temporary Adoption Eff. Date;
Amended Eff. Date;
Temporary Amendment Eff. Date;
Amended Eff. Date