LEA rules and regulations related to charter transportation for school-related events and activities
|Policy Title||LEA rules and regulations related to charter transportation for school-related events and activities|
|Policy Category||Transportation (TRAN)|
|Previous Policy Dates||04/01/2010|
- Each LEA shall adopt safety standards for contracted commercial bus services to assure the safety of students being transported to or from school-related activities.
- Each LEA shall maintain a list (Approved List) of companies or individuals that meet safety standards for transportation services for school-related activities.
- An LEA shall contract for transportation services for school-related activities only with companies or individuals on the Approved List.
- When adopting safety standards pursuant to this rule, each LEA shall consider the Recommended Guidelines and Procedures developed by the School Charter Transportation Safety Committee.
- The LEA’s safety standards shall include the following procedures:
- Procedures for development of the Approved List of transportation providers;
- Procedures for ensuring that a contract for any trip is made only with companies on the Approved List;
- Procedures to assure that the number of vehicles and drivers for the trip is sufficient to assure the safety of the students being transported;
- Procedures to provide safety and evacuation training to all students prior to any trip; and
- Any other procedures that the LEA deems reasonable to assure the safety of students being transported to or from school related activities.
- If an LEA adopts safety standards that conflict with or are less stringent than the Recommended Guidelines and Procedures developed by the School Charter Transportation Safety Committee, the LEA’s standards shall note those differences and state the reasons the LEA is adopting the different standard.
- LEAs may enter into interlocal cooperation agreements under G.S. 160A-461 to develop the required safety standards or lists of companies or individuals approved to provide transportation services or to contract for transportation services for school related activities.
History Note: Authority G.S. 115C-240; G.S. 160A-461;
Temporary Adoption Eff. Date;
Amended Eff. Date;
Temporary Amendment Eff. Date;
Amended Eff. Date